September 2, 2015

DIY: Quite possibly the easiest t-shirt DIY ever

For the longest while now, I have been completely hooked on the superhero craze that has seemed to have taken over current mainstream media. Inarguably, one of my favorites to rise out of this explosion is Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which ended its second season back in May. In the show, one of my favorite female characters (though really I love everyone else too), Skye, went though a complete character transformation. The show's stylists thought that clothing wise, she should embody this change as well, and thus began my complete and utter style-envy. 
In the second episode of the season (Heavy is the Head), Skye wore a simple black t-shirt with a slit at the top. I had never seen anything like it before and because neutral and minimalist are two words that typify my entire wardrobe, I naturally fell in love. As soon as I had finished watching the episode, I went online to hunt for the shirt so that I could add it to my never-ending pile of black shirts (trust me, I own practically every style and cut you could name). A quick search ended with disappointment when I found that the shirt cost well over $100. Seriously? For a black shirt? I would never dare. 

I thought that I would eventually forget about the shirt. After all, most of the time in situations like these, I always eventually do. Fast-forward to several months later, and the shirt would still pop up in the back of my mind from time to time. Which brings us to present day, where I lay my thoughts to rest and decided to DIY the shirt myself and share it with the rest of you since this is quite possibly the easiest t-shirt DIY ever. Instructions are below the jump! 

 WHAT YOU'LL NEED

1) A plain black crew-neck t-shirt - I got mine from the men's section at Forever 21 for $3.80. What a steal! (especially considering that it's about to be transformed to be a dupe of a $120+ shirt). You can get a similar one here.

2) Scissors

STEP 1 

Pick a side that you want the slit to be on. Then, examine the neck-line on that side, taking careful note at the seams. 

STEP 2

 Lay your shirt on a flat surface and cut from the top of the shirt, following the neckline. Make sure not to cut where the threads are to ensure that the shirt doesn't fall apart at the seams (pun intended). You can choose how long you want the slit to be. For mine, I chose to stop just before where my collarbone would be. 

STEP 3

Put the shirt on and see if the cut ends exactly where you want it to. If not, keep cutting. If so, with two hands, tug at the edges of the hole that you've just made. Stretching out the fabric will make it curl so that the edges won't be as sharply cut. 
And that's pretty much it! One cut and my cheap shirt became the $120+ shirt I was lusting over. 

Let me know in the comments below what you think, and if you decide to do this as well, I'd love to see pictures. Tag us on instagram @fluxandfolk or use the hashtag #fluxandfolkdiy. 

Stay Gold,

Kimberly 

1 comment: